Monday, September 17, 2012

First Dental Appointment

I want beautiful teeth!
 Original & Edited Version. I have a great desire to get an implantation with porcelain veneers to fill up the cracks between my teeth. Once my gum disease has cured completely, I will consider going for aesthetic braces too!
Original Version VS Edited Version
The reasons why I include so much information about periodontitis is for the ends of
1)   Sharing with you guys
2)   Reminding myself to take care of my oral hygiene

I am dianogsed with Periodontitis by a Periodontist in a clinic located at Bedok North recommended by my mom. Basically, Periodontitis is a set of inflammatory disease affecting the Periodontium. Periodontitis involves progressive loss of the alveolar bone around the teeth, and if left untreated, can lead to the loosening and subsequent loss of teeth.
Before I was educated by the doctor, I did not actually aware that plague is not 100% caused by food, they are actually mainly bacteria. If the plagues are not completely removed, they will be calcified (go hard, turned yellowish and subsequently blackened if no treatment is given.

Periodontitis, like any other chronic diseases (e.g. Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetics et al), is slow-decaying and painless until it reaches the point where 95% of the teeth was destroyed by the germs. When one finally feels the excruciating pain (too late), the affected teeth will have to be permanently extracted.

Diet
According to the doctor, the reason why calcium and Vitamin C are critical to promote healthy gums all boils down to the following chemical reaction:
Calcium + Amino Acids (Vitamin C) + Amino Acids = Healthy Periodontal Ligament

RECOMMENDATION BY THE PERIODONTIST 
Consume 60 - 120 grams of Vitamin C each day
(Vitamins can be replaced with Multi-vitamin tablets, e.g. Centrum, FXC, Natural Way et al)
Intake 1000 - 1300 mili-grams of Calcium per day, e.g. milk

Oral Hygiene
Brush teeth 2 times a day
Flossing with Dental Floss
(Sigh, don't bear to chew food with my clean teeth now)

A S$100 MC from Unity denticare
I'll be making another trip to the clinic on Thursday. According to the nurse, the wash will cost me bout 100 bucks and the fillings (Porcelain) will cost up to S$160 depending on their severity. I wonder how much would I spent in total amount!